At nearly 5,000 members, the Florida State Massage therapy Association (FSMTA) has grown considerably since June 15, 1939 when it started with 85 charter members. Currently, the FSMTA has members living anywhere from the Florida/Alabama border in Escambia County to the tip of the Keys and even as far away as Australia. Since its inception, the FSMTA has been a leader in supporting and protecting those who have chosen or are choosing massage therapy as their profession.
In 1943, the Florida State Massage Law was passed by the state legislature. This law, as well as many of the rules and procedures that followed, was developed from annual meetings of the Florida State Massage Association (the original name of the FSMTA).
In 1945, committees on Ethics, Membership, Finance, and Constitution/Bylaws were formed to help the association protect massage therapists.
The FSMTA later found that it needed to have local chapters to help address some issues and education matters with its members. In the 1950s, the Dade chapter was formed; followed by the Jacksonville, Orlando and Palm Beach chapters. As FSMTA grew, other chapters were added including the Pinellas and Broward chapters. Educational programs were extended in 1953 to be held at chapter meetings and 8 hours of continuing education courses were incorporated into the Annual Convention.