What can help you decide if ceramic tile is for you? Knowledge.
It has been said that what you don’t know won’t hurt you. We strongly disagree. We believe that what you do know can help you. Especially when you’re shopping for floor covering. Knowing which ceramic product is best for a particular room, and the activity in that room, can help you shop wiser, and can save you money in the long run -- unwise buying decisions can lead to costly replacement.
That’s why we created this section.
- We want you to know.
- We want you to know all about ceramic products. Whether it’s at our store or here in our website, we want you to understand, learn, experience -- know -- as much about ceramic as you need to.
So that you choose the right product for the right purpose at the right price. We call on our experience to provide you with valuable information, delivered in an easy to understand way, so you make the smartest decisions for you, your family and home. We believe that, the more you know about ceramic, the more inclined you’ll be to do business with people in the know. So please come along, read more to learn if beautiful and versatile ceramic tile is the answer for your flooring needs.
Ceramic vs Porcelain
Glazed ceramic tiles are coated with glass-forming minerals and ceramic stains.
- Typically, they have a matte, semi-gloss or high-gloss finish.
- They can offer better stain and moisture resistance than unglazed tile.
- Glazed tiles can also have different finishes and you should be aware of them for future considerations.
- High gloss finishes can be more slippery and scratches can become more visible, while matte or textured finishes help with traction and scratches, and dirt is less visible.
Unglazed ceramic tiles are very hard and dense. They come in various surface treatments and textures.
- Typically, these are installed outside your home as they do not offer much protection against stains compared to glazed ceramic tile.
- Unglazed tiles do have good slip resistance, however please note that they do require sealing to help prevent staining.
Porcelain tiles usually fall in the ceramic tile category and are the hardest and densest tiles available.
- Because the color in porcelain tile goes all the way through, they are non-porous, resist scratching and can withstand temperature extremes.
Know this: ceramic is many things.
Ceramic is dynamic. Its unique character, texture and nature-made material add energy, excitement and enchantment to any room. Ceramic is optic. Its multitude of styles, shapes, patterns, colors and finishes offer you a visual home from elegant, quiet and sedate to vibrant, emotional and provocative. Ceramic creates magic and mystique. With a tradition that dates back to ancient civilizations, ceramic tile can be found in a variety of settings in diverse cultures and structures around the world. From palatial homes, institutions and government buildings, to mystical religious structures like cathedrals and mosques.
Old yet contemporary.
Ceramic tile has been around for centuries, and with today's technology manufacturers have created new design and application possibilities that were not available a decade ago. If you have never used ceramic tile before or if it has been a long time since you have done so, you will be amazed at the wide selection of colors, sizes, shapes and new textures that are now available.
Natural ingredients make it a natural for homes.
Ceramic tile is a natural product made up of clay, a number of other naturally occurring minerals, and water. Glazed ceramic tile has a ceramic coating applied to the tile body, which gives the tile its color and finish. Glazed ceramic tile is the natural choice for your interior floors and walls.
And there’s logic to glazed ceramic, through these numerous qualities.
- Durable - a properly installed ceramic tile will outperform and outlast nearly any other floor covering product created for the same application.
- Easy care – and that’s for you, right? Glazed ceramic tile resists stains, odors, and dirt and can be cleaned up with a damp mop or sponge or common household cleaners. Ceramic tiles are essentially a low-maintenance material. However, even glazed tiles are somewhat porous, and require care and attention, especially in heavy traffic areas. In our ceramic maintenance segment we’ll share ideas on how to keep tiled surfaces looking their best, and performing well for you year after year.
- Scratch resistant - Grade III and Grade IV glazed ceramic tiles are extremely resistant to scratching and you never have to worry about a cut or tear like you do with some other types of floors.
- Environmentally friendly - ceramic tile is manufactured using natural materials and does not retain odors, allergens, or bacteria.
- Beautiful and versatile - modern ceramic manufacturing technology has created virtually an unlimited number of colors, sizes, styles, shapes and textures that will add rich beauty and character to any room’s decor.
- Fire resistant - ceramic tile doesn't burn nor emit toxic fumes. Even hot kitchen pans or skillets will not scorch or melt the surface of glazed ceramic tile.
- Water resistant - most glazed ceramic tile has a dense body that permits little or no accumulation of moisture. This means spills from common liquids found in a kitchen are not a big concern.
In summary, ceramic tile is a practical, functional choice for your floor that offers you a unique opportunity for self-expression because of its beauty, flexibility and design potential. Ceramic tile exhibits a versatility of colored glazes and decoration, and can range from simple terra cotta tiles to highly decorated individual ceramic tiles creating intricate mosaics. Your choices are almost endless. But whether it be a simple layout, or a decorative patterned design, ceramic tile is important in defining the character of the home. Their simple geometric design make ceramic tile easy to design into different sized spaces and in a diverse range of home styles, and explains much of the popularity of ceramic tile throughout history. The extensive range of colors, textures, sizes and styles will allow you to reflect your personal style, to create a living space that is a true reflection of you and your lifestyle. Or you can opt for an understated look with more universal appeal, which will help add value to your home.
Unrivaled in visual appeal and lasting beauty, ceramic tile will elevate and enhance any room in virtually any style home. We hope our entire section on ceramic products will add to your knowledge and understanding, and make you a smarter shopper.