Today I wanted to complete our short series on stress by sharing a little bit of our upcoming program's philosophy - QUIT. We've had the chance to review the definitions of stress, and how we categorize it into negative and positive elements in our lives. Then we discussed how our mind assesses the incoming stimuli to determine how are bodies will respond with either the flight or fight response. We learned about how certain hormones play an important role in physically managing the stress to protect our bodies from harm. Last of all, we reviewed how we respond emotionally and mentally to stress and how it can impact our lives by changing our behaviors and moods.
Finally, I want to talk about how we can effectively manage the stress in our lives by using the MINDWAYS QUIT philosophy. Just like going from point A to point B, there is always more than one route to our destination. Stress management is much the same if you spend any time reading about it in books or on the web. There are numerous schools of thought.
We at MINDWAYS Solutions came up with what we believe are the core principles to achieve positive change and quality of life. We use our QUIT method to accomplish change in our program, and know that it can be applied to all challenging life issues:
- Q - quantify your risks - What are you doing to invite unwanted stress into your life either through your actions or the people you have in your life?
- U - understand your story - When did the stress start in your life? what were the precursors to the onset of the stress? when did you lose control over managing the impact of this stressful issue in your life?
- I - initiate action - Now it's time to be proactive in your response to the stress by creating habits that support your ability to effectively handle stressful events in your life.
Things you can do to QUIT the stress in your life:
- T - transform your future - Change your thinking by developing a strong mental response to stress in your life.
- complete personal inventories or assessments
about challenges in your life
- keep a journal to capture life events and how you respond to incoming events
- continue to expand your personal growth through exposing yourself to inspirational content
- surround yourself with positive people who provide a positive and supportive influence
- reward yourself with enjoyable activities or personal hobbies to create a work/life balance
- make some goals for yourself about the type of impact you want to make in the world - year / 5 year
- get adequate amount of sleep - recommended is eight hours to maintain mental focus
- eat healthy foods from the identified necessary food groups - enjoy a treat in moderation
- be active by implementing exercise into your daily life
- use positive phrases to tell yourself that you can accomplish your goals
- take time each day to sit quietly and let your mind rest by using meditation
I hope you found this brief review of stress helpful. Here are the takeaways that I believe sum up our Stress series:
- Know what stress is - both the good that motivates you in life, and the bad that can create turmoil
- Take time to understand how you respond to stress presently, and historically
- Make a change - that takes action - give yourself a plan and start moving forward
- Create a better life for yourself by maintaining consistent healthy behaviors and attitudes that impact your body and mind.
Finally, if you're a smoker and you want to quit please try our MINDWAYS QUIT Solution that will be available on July 1, 2014.
We'll dive deeper into our methodology, and provide you with dynamic tools to create that smoke-free existence in life you deserve. Have a great day!