Achieving your goals and plans in life is similar to hiking and climbing. When you start a hike there has to be planning about your entry point, the distance you'll cover, and what specific route you'll take. In preparation you have to choose the gear you need, and the supplies that are necessary. Along the path you may encounter changes in terrain, weather alterations, and other unexpected events that can delay your finish.
Completing your project, reaching your goal, or starting your new venture will require effort and a plan: Choosing an Entry Point
- We need to be problem solvers in life to be successful. You have to look at that mountain and assess the best route that will result in a safe, efficient, and successful ascent to the top.The Distance You'll Cover
- What are you going to do to reach your goals. Are you willing to push yourself to go farther than you thought possible? How much effort are you willing to give to make it to the peak?Route you'll Take
- Are you going to make the ascent on your own or will this be a collaborative process? Will the sharing of ideas and criticisms be freely accepted amongst the team of climbers?
Once you've established your plan to get to the top, you'll need to consider what gear and resources (characteristics of a finisher)
- Innovator - be able to look at things from a variety of perspective to create the best approach possible for success.
- Motivator - be able to motivate yourself and others to continue climbing through the "muscle cramps" of life to reach the finish. Pushing through tough times is part of the job.
- Collaborator - be a collaborator with the ability to respect a variety of different ideas. Foster a team interaction that is conducive to promoting a win/win outcome for all involved.
- Finisher - It's not enough to have great idea, be able to work effectively with others, or be persistent unless you can make it to the top of the mountain. You have to be able to execute the plan by hiking upwards with your eyes focused on the peak. Even when you fall on the trail, run out of supplies, or just chose the wrong gear you have to suck it up and make to the finish.
Be a finisher in your life today. Where do you want to go? What heights do you want to ascend to that will bring happiness and fulfillment to your life? Go after these things with passion, persistence, and a plan that will result in raising your hands over your head in victory as you look down with pride at the difficult path you traversed.
Have a great day.