In 2013, Intercontinental Hotel Group launched the Green Engage Certification initiative. The international hotel group has successfully converted 99% of company owned hotels to Level 1 Green Engage properties. What does that mean exactly? We have one earth…One chance to get it right.
The Green Engage program is designed to reduce the carbon footprint per occupied room by 12% across the board. Also, the reduction of water usage by 12% per occupied room in water-stressed areas as well!
How has our hotel made advances in the Green Engage initiative? Here are some of our best practices for going GREEN:
- Conversion to all LED lighting interior/exterior
- Window tinting to reduce heating and cooling costs
- Implementation of a preventative maintenance program
- Purchasing the most energy-efficient equipment available
- Team member training on best green practices
- Use of Eco-friendly, green chemicals
- Planting indigenous landscaping which requires less water
- Install water censors on sprinkler systems
- Replace aerators on all bath sinks reducing 2.5gal per minute to 1.5gal
- Implement a Linen Reuse for our guest rooms
- Providing recycled toilet tissue and paper towels in guest rooms and common areas
- Recycle guest room soap with the Clean the World organization
- Provide recycle receptacles throughout hotel vending areas and exterior areas