Preparing A Simple Press Release - It Doesn’t Have to be Complicated!
Do you have an event coming up that you would like to try and have placed in a local newspaper or magazine? Preparing a Press Release does not have to be complicated, just follow these few steps to create a simple article. Then, be sure to post to your own blog, Facebook page, Twitter account and other social media venues to help get the word out and create a buzz about your event.
1. Look for articles similar to your event in local papers, magazines, and on local news web sites. Email the reporters who have published similar stories.
2. Keep the subject line of your email short and to the point. Don’t waste characters on non-essential wording.
3. Repeat your subject line as a headline in the body of your email, and don’t give them a release date. This can irritate the reporter by causing them to feel rushed. It is a good idea though to have the city, state and date of the event. This will let the reporter know that it is a local event and give them an idea about the time frame it needs to be posted.
4. In the body of the email, you will want to put any needed information in the first paragraph. It is a good idea include a quote, so that the reporter doesn’t have to call you for one, but a good reporter will typically follow up with you. Save any background information for later in your email.
5. Make sure to include your contact information in the email, so if the reporter does choose to call you for additional quotes, he can.
6. Include a few high-resolution images, if you can, about the event (ex. posters, photos from previous event, if it is a recurring event)
7. It might also be a good idea to include a pair of tickets to the event to entice him to come to your event and write about it.
Example Event Press Release
Subject: Twisted Beauty - A Fantastical Tale of a Classic Fable
We noticed that you cover local events for the Ocala Star Banner. We thought your audience might find the event below of interest. In addition, if you would like to cover the event for the Star Banner, we would be happy to provide you a press pass.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Twisted Beauty - A Fantastical Tale of a Classic Fable
Ocala, Florida - October 19, 2013, 1:00 pm & 7:00 pm - Twisted Beauty is based on the classic story Sleeping Beauty, but is not exactly like the classic story. There is suspense and mystery around every corner, and is told through dance, drama and song. It is a tale of a Vampire Fairy Queen who was not invited to celebrate the birth of Princess Aurora. The Vampire Queen casts a spell on Aurora so that she will die on her 16th birthday.when she pricks her finger. However, the Lilac Fairy intervenes and casts a counterspell which causes Aurora to only fall into a deep sleep.
About Royale Dance Theater
Royale Dance Theater is Central Florida’s newest multi-cultural dance company! Under the direction of Mr. Chester Anderson, RDT is not your typical dance troupe; everyone with a love for the arts is invited to join, regardless of skill level, body type or age because each dancer, like a tapestry, brings unique individuality to the company.
For more information or to buy tickets, check out our web page at Royale Dance Theater - Twisted Beauty
Director, Royale Dance Theater